Thursday, November 6, 2008

Lost My Friend

About a week ago I got an email from a friend of mine across the pond, Wil Woodrowe; concert promoter, IPO web master, friend, and most importantly, fellow music fan.

He had just heard about Popmonster and wanted to start promoting it on his Myspace page right away. He deemed it "a supreme powerpop gift to the world." He then started talking about IPO Liverpool and offered to help me put together dates around the festival, really encouraging a return trip to the UK.

That's the kind of guy Wil was. A guy with so much musical passion, the sheer gusto of his enthusiasm could get you dreaming with him.

So I started dreaming about crossing the pond again this May to play rock and roll, and possibly sharing a pint with my friend.
















It's with great sadness that I tell you that Wil passed away yesterday morning. He woke up with chest pains at 6:15 a.m. and by 7 he was gone.

If you knew Wil, if you've attended IPO in any city, or just share his love of powerpop, I invite you to pay your respects at his Myspace page, which I'm told will remain up for a while.

You were one of a kind, Wil. I'll really miss you.

"yes, you CAN dream, and who knows what may come of it?"
-Wil Woodrowe

photo: Wil in action at the Cavern, IPO 2007, Photo by Tom Bjornland

No comments: